5 Steps to Your Perfect Holiday
What do You want out of travel? Are you looking for something different? Not the places that “Everyone goes”, Not somewhere packed with tourists? And yet, preferably, somewhere with a touch of luxury and comfort well beyond the basic?
It doesn’t seem a lot to ask and yet… it can be very hard to find. Travel agents, and travel websites, often seem to think that those who want something different are only the 20 somethings who are fit and full of energy for backpacking, camping or basic accommodations. I, for one, got over camping many years ago. I am fit and healthy, and love getting out and into interesting places, but I like my comfort. So, in recent years, I have made it a focus to find interesting places to go, where I can still have a comfortable, even luxurious experience, whilst seeing a different side of things, exploring the ‘road less traveled’ parts of the world. (Even when they are actually right next door to the tourist spots!)
It is amazing what you can find – there are spectacular pieces of wild scenery, in places sometimes less than an hour’s drive from a luxury hotel, or if you are not so much for big hotels, there are truly remarkable small B&Bs, micro resorts and other unique places to stay, in most corners of the world. So – here are 5 steps to exceptional travel experiences:
- Work out what sort of things you love most – what gives you joy, fills you with happiness? What places and things in the world fascinate you most?
- Work out what makes you feel comfortable – what defines luxury for you?
- Do some research (the internet is a truly wonderful thing – with Google earth you can ‘spy out’ anywhere you are interested in, right down to looking at other peoples holiday pictures from every angle of a location!) and look for places that provide access to the things you love, or are fascinated by.
- Once you have some possible options, find, and then intentionally ignore, the major hotels, resorts, tourist areas etc near them – look instead at the small places, at what else is nearby, at what events happen there, apart from the one or two major ones that ‘everyone knows about’. Most places, even tiny ones, now have websites, and you can email and ask questions about what they provide, what happens there, what time of year is best etc etc If you book in the “off season” not only will you see things that tourists rarely see, but you will also likely save a lot on your travel, or get extras thrown in that you would not get at more popular seasons.
- Book an amazing experience, with all the things that will make it Your perfect holiday, dealing with people that you have already established a relationship with through email, so that you are sure, before you leave home, of how amazing it will be!
Follow this simple process, and you’ll have a great holiday – every single time that you travel!